Thursday, February 3, 2011

"The Shadow" 1994

I've been watching the latest film version of The Shadow and have actually been rethinking my position on the film. As a film, I thought it was fun but not very true to my vision of my hero. I like him as a pulp character, not as much from the radio. But I feel they melded the two pretty well and if they had been given another shot, the franchise might have taken hold. They put, as they say, the kitchen sink into the flick and I'm guessing the rationale for that was seeing what stuck and what struck out. I liked Alec Baldwin in the role as it was written. I would have preferred someone who actually had the look as described by Gibson. I had no problem with Penelope Ann Miller as Margo as I don't care for the character at all. However, since she was a radio creation, Ms. Miller did a great job and I think her portrayal actually made me like the character more. Peter Boyle as Moe, perfect. Roy Tam is a throwaway, unfortunately. I actually really like Burbank and his cool lair.
I think I'll pick at this film over the next few days, focusing on various aspects and characters as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment