Sunday, February 6, 2011

Head Scratcher

Why would they choose Commissioner Barth over Weston? That one has left me puzzled for as long as I can remember. Perhaps it was that they wanted to use Jonathan Winters in some manner and he didn't fit the Weston mold. Perhaps Weston would be too close to Commissioner Gordon of Batman fame and they didn't want to place the two in the same vein. Either way, Barth was a bad choice and, to me at any rate, one of the decided problems with this film. I like Mr. Winters, I don't care for the character he was asked to portray nor the manner in which said character was written.
And speaking of head scratchers, why mention Harry (I assume they meant Vincent) in passing but choose not to use him even in a passing role, such as the police officer who was an agent. Big miss on the creative team's side and one that truly showed their bent towards the radio version of The Shadow rather than the far more intricate pulp version.

No comments:

Post a Comment