Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Novelization vs. Movie part one

I'm finally reading the novelization of the '94 film by James Luceno. I'm enjoying it well enough, not for how well it is written (thus far it's so so) but for some of the holes it fills that the movie left open. I'm early on in the story and am only at the Cobalt Club scene. I appreciate the nod to the fact that the Club was originally a gentleman's club, something I wish had been left alone. It also made it clear that Lamont Cranston is just a cover and that Kent Allard (although not yet referred to) is who he really is. The mention of being a pilot in the Great War is great, as is the stuff about Margo Lane having a bit of a past. The description of a wardrobe and makeup compartment in Moe's cab changes the whole aspect of the physical change that Lamont undergoes. He also has little regard for Wainwright is a terrific touch. The author also sets the time era simply by referencing events that passed during Cranston's time with the Tulku.
I really appreciate how reverential Luceno is towards the canon that we all love and hold sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment