Monday, January 8, 2018

Which do you prefer?





I really like Steranko's paperback cover art from the 70's but overall I have to side with the originals.  I love the secret code that is included on this cover but not the inclusion of an uncovered face of The Shadow.  However the overall mood of the cover is more Gibson than the damsel in distress of the Steranko version.  On top of it all, this is one the least of the reprint covers.  But this is all just my opinion and preference.  What say any of the agents who may be blurking about?

3 comments:

  1. While the Steranko cover has more action depicted, I prefer the original. I like the uniqueness of having the story begin with a secret code on the cover and continue inside. I don't particularly like the depiction of The Shadow on the original though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the blue cover used for the first printing of "Crime Cult" and this cover were inadvtertantly switched!
    The mummy cover is for "Crime Cult" and the blue cover with the hand and paper with code on it was meant for "Hands in the Dark"!
    The second printing of both books corrected the error!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt, thanks for pointing that out. I have the blue cover but always assumed that this Crypt cover was just another of the variants that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete