Tuesday, January 11, 2022

"The Death Tower"

 "Burke,  I have paid you well because I wanted intelligent cooperation. You have done your part. This is only the second time that you have met me. I want your honest opinion. Do you trust me? Would you work for me, faithfully, without question? Keeping all our dealings confidential. Then I can tell you my real purpose in setting you up in business. Burke, I am a criminologist. I have my own way of dealing with crime. Those who work for me must always obey me implicitly -- even though they may not understand my motives. Even though they may face danger!" 

What a pitch, eh?  Times must have been tough to just say 'yes' to blindly obeying someone you have no idea about.  No way to investigate whether you are being played.  The Shadow must truly be The Master of Men!

This is the first cover from George Rozen.  The sinister hooded man on the cover was painted from a publicity still of James LaCurto.  LaCurto is credit as being the first voice of The Shadow, when he was only a narrator for "Detective Story Hour."



No comments:

Post a Comment