Thursday, January 6, 2022

Let's finish the first three novels up with "The Shadow Laughs"



"Some people call me The Shadow. That is but one identity. I have other personalities that I assume, as easily as I don my black cloak and hat. One of my personalities is that of Lamont Cranston. In the past, I have used it while you were away. At present, I choose to use it now. It would be embarrassing for both of us to be here. So you must go."

I know that there are better stories than the first three but with these original adventures The Shadow was cemented as the master of men, the unseen figure that manipulates the events from the darkness until he can triumph and then blend back into the shadows. Gibson established the proxy hero format that ran throughout the series (although The Shadow did take a much larger role as the years wore on), the false identities and the use of agents.  This trilogy really gave us the baseline with which to follow our hero through so many great tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment