Monday, August 9, 2021

A little something I'm working on

 This is the progression so far of my latest attempt to do an original piece of art featuring The Shadow.


It started with an ink drawing with a chess theme.  I used the famous skull from a couple covers of the original run of The Shadow Magazine.  The Creeping Death and The Book of Death being those covers.  

 I was happy enough with the layout that I wanted to move to an actual oil painting.  However I didn't feel that the chess theme was strong enough.  I went through a couple of other themes keeping the two figures exactly as they were and settled on a Sanctum scene with the blue light and highly polish desk.  We've read often enough of The Shadow reviewing the newspaper clippings sent by Rutledge Mann so I thought that it made for a nice, if not action packed or even conceptual.

I went right for the good stuff, the hand!  I'm very interested to see if this plays like a blue light laying across the flesh.  Once everything is knocked in I'll be darkening everything with color washes so that the blue circle feels like a spot of light.  I couldn't put it down so I went back in and...

...started knocking in the colors we all associate with The Shadow.


I'll post more as I carve out time to work on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment