Friday, April 22, 2011

The Blackmail Ring

The cover to this tale is one of my favorites. Anyone who had stopped in and read anything that I have written will know that I love the "hand covers" that feature the ring. While the rendering is somewhat rough, the concept is wonderful and it pulls me in. As to the story itself...
While I love the early tales with the original stripped down cast and items used to help our hero such as Vincent's radio set, the coded radio programme message, Rutledge Mann, the use of an aeroplane piloted by the Dark Eagle (although in my mind I saw this as the autogyro even though it wasn't stated to be such), and of course the Sanctum, this story just seemed a bit convoluted for me. Perhaps I didn't read it in an expedient enough manner to keep all of the threads connected but I just didn't feel that it was a big enough story to have The Shadow involved. I also didn't think that the blackmail angle was really worked out very well. And he didn't make enough appearances for my taste. However, it is an early tale and there were touches that really made me happy. Ghoulish as it may sound, I loved how The Shadow left Denby to take his own life thereby avenging the death of his uncle. Macabre to say the least and what I would expect of The Shadow.
All in all just an okay story for me with some nice touches that kept me happy. I am now starting "Dead Men Live". I'll report my thoughts on that later.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta give you a big hand for that commentary...I like this cover, too, 'rough' as it is. Also, it's the FIRST hand cover! Have had computer problems [just got it back from thr repair center], so haven't been able to reply to anything for last few days; back now, so bring on the clews!

    ReplyDelete