Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What drew me to The Shadow




My formative years were the Seventies, a great time to grow up. I found Mr. Cranston via the airwaves on Thursdays while sitting in my room at 3030 Nettie. Butte, Montana USA. I'm not sure if I was listening to the originals or not but I was fascinated. I would also put myself to sleep listening to "Radio Mystery Theatre". But I digress.
I used to visit my grandparents in Libby and the same summer that I discovered the radio Shadow I came across the 60's reprint "The Living Shadow". Wow, an eye opener. There was no internet to research my newfound hero so I had no idea he was anything more than a radio character (since that is how my mom and dad remembered him). This book was quickly followed by a coloring book which led me to the DC comic book. I was in heaven. Or so I thought. It got better when the Pyramid books started being published. I proudly wore my t-shirt with the transfer of Steranko's homage cover painting of the Shadow (his graced the new Living Shadow and the original was on The Black Hush). However, it all ended when the books ceased to be published. It hurt but I consoled myself with what I had and kind of held onto that special feeling I had that I thought no one else did. Over time I came across many items (two of which are original pulps) and now there are the double issue reprints which showcase the original illustrations. Again, I am in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment