Sunday, August 28, 2022

"The Devil Master"


  "Which is the more powerful? One who burrows deep into the ground, or one who vanishes off into the air? Which is the more dangerous: the beast that growls from its den, or the creature that lurks where it may stalk its prey? Both Su Yeng and Prince Yeddo have similar designs. Each can recuperate, and begin a new campaign. Both will menace you, Tam, because they know you are my friend." - The Shadow

If I hadn't read the review by John Olsen I would have judged this by it's cover.  I think it's a bit too much like Doc Savage.  A bit too sci-fi.  But John straightened me out and rates this as one of the best stories of 1941, along with The Chinese Primrose.  The cover is well done, I just don't like seeing The Shadow in overly unbelievable situations.  If you choose to read the review be forewarned... there is a spoiler involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment