Sunday, May 8, 2022

"Midnight in Moscow"

 I am just (finally) wrapping up my re-reading of Dynamite's run on The Shadow.  I must say, it's not as bad as I remember (not that it has moved up in the rankings, though) and some of it was enjoyable.  Overall, however, I am not a fan of the re-imagining of The Shadow and his agents.  The writing was often inconsistent between story lines, due mostly (I'm sure) to having different writers take over.  They all seem to want to put their own spin on things.  Sometimes it works, but often it didn't.  At least for me.  

I am wrapping up with "Midnight in Moscow", Howard Chaykin's follow up prequel to "Blood & Judgment".  This is probably the fourth or fifth time I've read this but for some reason it worked much better for me this time around.  The artwork is solid but I'm not sure I like the style he employed as much as the style he used in his first run.  The story works better for me this time as well.  Perhaps that is due to the Russian news these days.  It seems everything old is new again.  Anyhow, I just a few pages from being done with Dynamite and look forward to spending some time with the real adventures of The Shadow from Gibson.










No comments:

Post a Comment