Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Dynamite's "The Shadow"

I'm going to have revise my opinion of Dynamite's take on The Shadow.  Did they make him a bit too over the top regarding violence?  Yes, they did.  I think they may have toned it down a bit over the course of the 25 issue series but it was still a concern of mine.  Did they sex up the Margo Lane relationship?  Absolutely.  That is something I didn't care for but nothing to be done about it.  Chaykin started that way back in the 80's and the film pushed it as well.  Was I a fan of the art?  For the most part, no.  Campbell did a pretty decent job but Timpano was hard for me to get through.  Ross' covers as well as some of the others really saved the book from an art standpoint.  So why am I revising my opinion?  Because they brought in some of the lesser known aspects of The Shadow's background.  The Seventh Star.  The Xincan angle with the second girasol.  Yat Soon in Chinatown.  Dr. Roy Tam (not the version from the film) and even his Dark Eagle persona.  Did they handle it well.  Well enough.  I'll never put this series ahead of any of the others but at least they did their research and brought some fun stuff to the table.  I'll give my opinion as I work my way through the subsequent volumes that follow the original 25 issue run.



No comments:

Post a Comment