Friday, November 13, 2009

Correct Deductions of the Clews Given

Detective Story Magazine July 25, 1931

"By the mark of the cobra on my chest."(The Shadow has a cobra tattooed on his chest.)
"Prison bars? Ha! Ha! A tight squeeze perhaps, but it can be done."(The Shadow is slender.)
"Artistic hands, have I, and at my will, a pack of cards is twain."(The Shadow has long, slender hands, with tapering fingers, and strong ones.)
"Tis hard for me to disguise features akin to those of the winged terror of the feathered tenants of the barnyard. An inky dye must I apply to hide my Nordic forbears."(The Shadow has hawklike features, and is blond, and light complexioned.)
"As the unrelenting hound is to the fox, so am I to malefactors. But a whippet gait I take when on the scent."("Hound" is another name for detective. The Shadow is a detective and "unrelenting". Also fast when on the trail.)
"A dove to those I love; a jungle thing that cannot change its spots to those whose wicked hand I'd stay; and oft like a bird, I take the air when seeking out a lair."(The Shadow is gentle with those he loves, but treats those who have wronged himself and others as a leopard; and he uses an airplane when seeking out a lair.)
"8 triple A," the salesmen say, and Beau Brummel's tastes are mine. But forty ways I look, and for forty persons am mistook."(The Shadow has a slim foot, is a fastidious dresser, and wears fort different disguises.)
"Twenty years ago, for me, precocious youth 'B. A.,' and let those form any clime converse near by, and their secrets will be mine."(The Shadow, being precocious, got his B. A. when he was twenty. Thus, he's now forty. He knows all languages.)
"Low doorways please me not, and in college I stroked my crew."(The Shadow is tall, an athlete.)
"Many have I brought to durance vile, and made to sit where chained lightning strikes."(The Shadow has sent many men to jail and to the electric chair.)

1 comment:

  1. I guess I don't like to think of The Shadow as stroking his crew in college...

    ReplyDelete