Tuesday, May 28, 2019

RIP Bart Starr

I've got a list of heroes that have shaped my outlook on life.  Artists like Jeff Jones, Nicolai Fechin, Al Williamson and Dean Cornwell (just to name a few from a pretty long list).  Historical figures such as Theodore Roosevelt or JFK.  Of course the fictional ones led by The Shadow, Mr. Spock, Doc Savage and Tarzan.  Then there are the sports figures like Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Johnny Bench or even Sugar Ray Leonard.  For various reasons I looked up to the various figures, mostly for how they performed within their areas of expertise.  But one has always stood out above the others.  He was my first hero and has remained the unreachable goal of how to live.  Bart Starr led Green Bay to 5 championships in 7 years and made the Lombardi Packers the best team of the 60s (and, in my opinion, of all time).  He led a life to be emulated on and mostly off the field.  He showed me how to be a better person by walking the walk.  Not only a champion on the field of play but a champion in the game of life.  It is a sad day for me now that he has passed, but his lessons will forever resonate with me.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Starr. 




No comments:

Post a Comment